Saturday, May 19, 2007

Drunky-Wunky in Dayton

Some poker content, and some not-poker content. Just like life.

I snuck away from the blahs of Chicago suburbia two days ago to go to... Dayton? Indeed, but no reason other than to just get away. I accompanied a friend who's heavily into the ham-radio thing, and I've now learned that the third weekend in May is always the Dayton Hamvention, the world's largest flea-market/bourse/gathering of the ultimate in pocket-protectordom. I is knee-deep in geeks, lemme tell ya.

But, in an odd way, I enjoy these snapshot visits to other lifestyles. From seeing things like GenCon in the Milwaukee days to other specialty conventions, I actually enjoy watching the fuss and the fun, even if I don't necessarily dig the topic at hand. I'd actually be posting from that Hamvention right now, except for the fact that the free Wi-Fi advertised by major sponsor ARRL isn't working as advertised this morning. Therefore, I had to boogie back across Dayton to handle some poker work this morning.

One cannot fully comprehend the mountains of electronic crap available here without seeing it first hand, and I went over to the thing for a couple of hours yesterday, betwixt and between my normal poker duties, which kept me logged in from the world's smallest Hampton Inn (adjacent to Wright State University) for much of my stay. And of course, I've made it out for a nice evening meal or two, hence the 'Drunky-Wunky' of the title.

Right now I'm creating this post from the lobby of the Hampton after already having officially checked out, like they're ever gonna know. I expect the next two months to teach me quite a bit about remote networking. I won't physically be at the WSOP this year, but I will be working live (but remote) on WSOP stuff every single day. And I'll do that mostly from my Illinois apartment, but from a few other locations as well.

It's actually been a bit of a test run to see how well this remote Internet access is going to work. This trip has shown that it can be a bit of a fuss, so I now know what to expect. That can be summed up in two words: backup plans.

* * * * * *


Another thing I've had a small role with in recent days is helping bring another good writer into the PokerNews fold. His name's Martin Harris, and I think he's going to provide some quality pieces. Give him a read.

I'm always keeping my eyes open for other fresh faces, too, and I'm curious if anyone knows any transcribers with poker experience, for a different type of project. On yet a third matter, there is another huge announcement that will be able to made public any day, concerning a project I've been working on for quite some time. Just a little bit longer on that one, okay?

No comments: